Saturday, July 25, 2009

SKETCHBOOK: "Day At The Zoo"

Yesterday, I took a day off from work and headed solo over to the Kansas City Zoo. It had been a few years since my last visit. The weather was nice and sunny (though pretty hot by the end...mid 90's). It was a challenge to draw the constantly moving models, but I had a lot of fun.

The first two pages are done in pencil and washes...then I switched over to a brown micro-tip felt marker. For highlites, I used white prismacolor pencil, and an opaque white watercolor. Not sure which tools I prefer...each has their advantages. Hope you enjoy!

6 comments:

Fitz-Badger said...

Wow, excellent sketches! Makes me want to go to the zoo. :D

Bonnie said...

I'm Lin's friend and I have followed your artwork for many years from greeting cards to her own personal portraits. So glad to have found your web site. Wonderful work!

Warren said...

Hey, Fitz-Badger...thanks again for the nice comments. It was fun to see the new Tropical exhibit since I went out there last. Take sunscreen, if you go!

Hello, Bonnie..welcome to my blog! I'm flattered that you've been keeping track of my art all these years. Lin's a fun Sis-in-law...keep her in line up there! Hope you visit the blog often...I try to post something a couple of times a week.

Rick said...

Followed you over here from Justin Gerard's blog. Really nice sketchbook. You've made each of those animals your own. Great use of white as well. Keep posting and I'll keep checking back!

In Christ

Alex Lyon said...

These sketch pages are amazing. I love the color you are using on this toned paper. great stuff. reminds me of James Gerney. If you have gotten to take a look at his Sketch work, it's beautiful.

Warren said...

Hey, Richard and Alex...welcome aboard! Glad you are enjoying my blog. I like working on the toned paper a lot...though I have a terrible habit of over-working stuff. Just need to keep stuff simple. Check back later!
-W