Finally finished with the head of Space Gator. In my last post, I showed how I made some "gator bump" textures. Below is one more stamp that I made for the small areas on the head. I used "Sculpey Firm" to make the stumpy little tool (about the size of a short pencil). I also made a tiny hole in the pointed end for single bumps.
The process is very much the same as on all my other sculpts. I began with a very rough head for proportions. I cut off the helmet, since the shapes were all going to change. I started forming the mouth first. The eyes are ball bearings from an old "Lazy Susan". Next I form the eyelids. I kindof liked the pointy eye ridges and cheeks...felt more stylized for space travel!
Now comes the texturing phase. I cut some grooves under the chin, then cut some perpendicular lines from those. I made the tool from a piece of wire that I hammered flat and stuck in a dowel handle...one of my favorite things to sculpt with. I moved on to the bumps over the rest of the head, followed by the standard glazing with thinner.
I then baked the head before proceeding to the helmet stage. I didn't want to mash the details. This also allowed me some flexibility while figuring out how the helmet would be designed. I could sculpt, then peel off the parts I didn't like, then start again.
With this part done , I'll reattach the head to the gator body and work in more details as I refine one area at a time. See ya back here next post!