Now it's time to show the base for Space Gator!
I began with covering the wood with a thin layer of Sculpey. I have a really old box of the clay (years old!), that is almost too dry to work with. But it makes pretty good rocks, so I started mashing them on. Once I got the whole thing covered, I started working on the psuedo mushroom-like forms. After glazing it with thinner, the base seemed too big for the size of this piece.
So I peeled off the clay from the edges, and had to rethink things a bit. I had no real game-plan for how everything was going to end up. My wife said it reminded her of Chiclets gum or "pop rocks" candy. Yummy...but not the alien planet look I was going for. Eventually, I went towards a coral reef feel, with some layered lichen fungus growth, and lots of tendril-roots on the mushrooms. Again, I glazed everything with thinner, to blend the surfaces.
After looking the base over, I felt like it needed a bit more. So I twisted in a wood screw for support, then added a few "baby shrooms".
So here we are with the final base. I'm not sure what colors I'll go with, but I'm leaning towards a brighter palette.
Next post, I start working on the Gator...til then, enjoy!