Welcome to part 2 of a new series I've started...Monster Heads! Let's jump right in. As before I begin with a basic armature of a nail in a wood base, add some wire, then aluminum foil to fill out the shape. This time, I was strongly influenced by an image on Discovery Channel of a cottonmouth water moccasin snake that was striking at the camera. I didn't have a real game plan (which is part of the fun of these sculpts). In my mind's eye, I also thought about giant cat fish, moray eels, deep sea viper fish and just made things up as I went along.
Below shows of some of the changes I made as I went. This is at the base of the neck area. At first I thought of keeping it smooth like a catfish's skin. Then I thought about making some gills. I didn't like where that was going, so I just carved out the bulk of the shapes. I liked how that looked (a purely random thing occurring here). So I built up some "ribs", then dug out some smaller shapes. I'm not sure WHAT they are now...could be gills...could be land-lungs...could be something that flares out when the monster is mad!
I made the teeth from "firm" Sculpy (lower part of the photo), and also the giant "barbs" for the spine. I have wire inside the longer spike bits for extra support.
Below are images of the teeth and spikes added, replacing the rougher version of those parts. The shiny gloss to the sculpture is from oder-less paint thinner which helps "melt" the surfaces a bit, and blends the forms to a smoother finish. I used ball bearings for the eyes.
Here is part of the painting process. I gave everything a coat of green acrylic first...then gave it a wash of thinned down black (so it would sink into the crevices of the detail). Then I started glazing and dry-brushing with the colors I wanted. I did another wash of blue on top...and repeated these steps multiple times. The shot on the lower right is where I ended up. I painted it all with a "high gloss" acrylic varnish, since this needed to look "wet" from the ocean.
Here are some views of the final Sea Monster!
That's it for this post. I'll be making more of these from time to time, for sure!