Sunday, August 14, 2022

SCULPTURE: "Rhino Beetle"

I just finished with the second of a trio of "bas relief" sculptures I'm working on. This is a "3-Horned Rhino Beetle". They are like tiny tanks of the insect world. I created this with Super-Sculpy on a wood base. The original sculpt was painted with acrylic to look like faux-brass.

I created a template image by combining bits and pieces from several photos in Photoshop, then made a line-drawing version. I sculpted a very rough draft on top of the line art, then transferred it to a wooden base.

 
After refining the sculpture, I coated the piece with several layers of liquid latex. 
I then painted a thin base-coat of wet cement inside the rubber mold, 
to get into the smaller detailed areas, and to minimize air bubbles.

Here is the painted version next to the concrete one.


 

No comments: