Saturday, January 26, 2019

Mom's Passing

This post is a very difficult one to write. Not because I don't have much to say...but because words wouldn't do justice. This past November 10, 2018, my Mom, DeLeath Ludwig, passed away at the age of 85. Our family is still in the middle of processing it all, dealing with the huge loss. But we were so blessed to have had her in our lives, and readily acknowledge all the good that she passed on to us. 

My Mom was one of my favorite "Sketching Buddies". For the last several years, I have enjoyed trips to my hometown of El Dorado, Arkansas, to spend a few days wandering around town to various locations to sketch. Often we'd just stay at her house and set up a still-life. Mom's health was in decline for some years, and she was hooked up to oxygen much of the time. In fact, in her final days, she and I had talked about how she could have died many times over in the last 15 years, with all she battled with. But on the days that she felt good enough, she'd be sketching and painting watercolors almost every single day. We have a legacy of many, many sketchbooks that she filled up.

I will miss you, Mom...and I look forward to sketching with you again, when I meet you in Heaven!!

No comments: