Friday, May 31, 2013
As often happens, my projects turn out to be way more complicated than I anticipate when I start with a little sketch on a scrap of paper. But fortunately, I had some time over Memorial Day weekend, and some on-line encouragement from my friend, Joyce, to stick with it and finish this guy! So, without futher ramblings...let's look at the final stages.
I will say up front...the most frustrating part of this project was messing with beard fur and super-glue!!! What a mess! Some months ago, a co-worker buddy of mine, Shannon, had given me this 98¢ fake beard, which was perfect for my pirate. I began by cutting out a piece to fit the lower jaw. I glued the fur upside down, so it would hide the fabric backing, and give a soft, rounded edge to the top of the beard.
Next up...combing...trimming...then a little razor work to make the beard more uneven and shaggy.
Then I glued on a piece to cover the back of the head and neck. After that...I added the mustache. You will note that there is a nice little gap where the Pirate's wicked scar cuts across his lip.
The finishing touches were a bit more fur added in front of the ears, and also to back-fill any spaces where the backing showed through. And then I glued the hat in place.
Next, it was time to see if I remembered anything at all from the sewing class I took in college, umpteen years ago! This part of the build took about 10 to 15 hours to figure out how to create the jacket. But I think it worked out pretty well in the end. The lace cuffs were some ribbon material I found at the fabric store.
One thing that I didn't account for was the thickness of the black felt that I used for the jacket. It bunched up a lot in the area of the elbows, so I had to trim out and sew the sleeve with a bend to it...like the heel of a sock.
Since I did not have a pattern, I had to trim and measure things as I went. I cut a hole for one arm, wrapped the felt around to the other side, then cut another arm hole. The sleeves were long enough to tuck under for stitching later. Once I had a "vest" made, I folded the tops over for lapels, and added a collar.
I had stumbled across some ribbon fabric in the laundry room a few days ago, and thought it would make a nice "shoulder belt". So, I quickly made a buckle out of wire and plumbers epoxy. The final step for the jacket was to attach the "steering arm" by closing up the "screw eyes", and then stitching on the other sleeve.
Check out the final photos below!
Time to swab the decks, Maties...this journey be over!
Posted by Warren Ludwig
at 8:33 PM