The DESERT DUNES are DONE! I finished up the final paint job this weekend.
I was going to show the painting process as I worked on these, but there were too many glazes used to build up the layers of color. In short, I used a burnt red acrylic undercoating for the rocks, then used a very watered down chocolate brown glaze over the whole thing. I dry-brushed a honey brown over all of the sand and rocks, to pick up some highlights. Then I dry-brushed some light orange over that. Finally, I hit the sand with some very light tan, which accentuated the darker under-painting. I was surprised that a bit more of the original texture that was sculpted with the fork into the "icing mud" was visible through the glued-on sand (see last post).
Here are the four basic pieces...
...and some variations on how they can be arranged for game-play.
Next time, I'll finish up this project and show you the process I used to make the RIVER.