Thursday, April 9, 2020

CHALK ART: "Postcards"

After a few years of creating chalk murals in my driveway, I had to face the sad fact that I'm not as young as I used to be (turned 63 on April 1st). Typically, after spending hours and hours crawling around on the pavement, my back would hurt for a couple of days afterward. My knees are also giving me trouble. Because I enjoy doing the sidewalk art...necessity became the mother of invention. SO....
I made my own "old school chalkboard"! The drawing surface is 6 feet by 4 feet. I gave it some wheels so I can roll it around. I can put it into my garage at night, and when there is nasty weather outside. This means that I can draw more images throughout the year without having to worry about how many days I have before it rains again.
I decided to call this little project my "Postcards to the Neighborhood" (as the sign says). I have really enjoyed talking with passers-by and kids that live nearby while I draw. So that will continue.
Just yesterday, I was told by a good buddy that he saw my artwork one of the local news channels. He was kind enough to snap a photo and send it to me. Thanks, Dave Ellis!! So I was very pleasantly surprised to be the focus of a featurette about people doing good things, during the Covid-19 pandemic.
In a few more days, I'll erase the chalkboard, and sketch up another idea. I'll try to update this post with a few more images as I finish them.

No comments: