Saturday, January 26, 2019

BCAW 2018-FIRST PLACE

This post is quite late...I thought I had already put this on my blog. Back in September of 2018, I once again participated in the Brush Creek Artist Walk in Kansas City. I was fortunate to win one of the first place ribbons for my painting of one of KC's famous fountains down on the Plaza. In the photo above I'm flanked by our judge, Mark Alan Anderson, and Alex Hamil, BCAW Director, who is holding my blue ribbon.

Below is a close-up of my two submissions...a Sycamore tree and the Indian on a horse battling with an alligator.
The surprising thing about my first place win was that the original painting was a "nocturne" that was a complete "bust", because the fountain lights that were usually turned on, were NOT on for some reason. But my Mother had suggested that I use that work as an underpainting and to head back to the same location during the daylight. I did that...and Mom's suggestion paid off!! You can see the two phases of the painting below.
The next photos are of one of the "quick paints" that we did during the weekend. I'm in the middle of the crowd below.  I decided to tackle a painting of a big sycamore tree with the sunlight coming through the branches.
Below are two other paintings I did that were not entered into the show. The first was an early morning attempt...other two locations were done in late afternoon.

It was fun to hang out with some artists I have not seen in a while, and to make some new friends who had also come to paint.

No comments: