Thursday, April 26, 2018

SCULPTURE: Monster Head Pt. 5

It's been a while since I've played with some Sculpy clay. I got inspired by some of the recent movies with giant monsters in them ("Rampage" and "Pacific Rim 2"). It was time to return to my series of sculpts featuring "Kaiju" (giant monster) heads. For your viewing pleasure...an ICE DRAGON!
I began with a core of aluminum foil and wire. The wire is set into some holes drilled into the wooden base. I originally thought I would add some bits of dragon wings to the base, but decided not to.
I kept the head as a separate element, so I could sculpt the finer details. Little by little, I added more horns and skin textures. I also worked down the front of the neck with some horned armor.
You will see below left that I started adding armor plating to the sides and back of the neck. But I just didn't like how it was going, so I scraped it all off and started over.
As usual, I painted the whole sculpture in a unifying base coat. Since this was to be an ice dragon, I wanted the colors to be a variety of "cold" colors. I gave the mid-tone blue a watered-down acrylic wash of a darker blue. When that dried, I dry-brushed several layers of aqua, green, blue and purple.
Below is the finished paint job.
My new Ice Dragon fits nicely on the shelf with my other "Kaiju" monster heads. I'm sure I'll add some more to the family.

No comments: