Wednesday, May 31, 2017

NEW PAINTINGS: "STEMS Plein Air 2017"

This last week I participated in the yearly STEMS PLEIN AIR painting event. The sale of the paintings helps raise money for the Art and Recreation department of the city of Overland Park, KS. The three paintings above are my framed submissions. I'll find out in a few days how the judging goes. 

The one on the top left is on one of the walking trails of Tomahawk Creek. The center is a giant sycamore tree in Quivera Park. The one on the right is a steam tractor at Deanna Rose Farmstead.

Below is a painting I did of Craig Sole's Design little shop...a floral artist who has been a big supporter of the event, and sponsors a "for purchase" prize each year.
These are other paintings I did during the week, but didn't feel they were as strong as the ones I submitted. I hadn't painted in a while, so these were almost more like warm-ups. The one below is a little water tower at Deanna Rose Farmstead.
Next is the historic RIO Theater in Old Overland Park.
Below is my failed attempt to paint a heritage rose at the Arboretum, as raindrops drip off the trees. I am terrible at florals...scraped off the rose three times. Finally I just grabbed a palette knife and made some quick petal shapes. Maybe I should paint more flowers...nah...more tractors for me!

No comments: