Saturday, September 7, 2013

SKETCHBOOK: "Yep...Summer's Over"

Today I decided to enjoy a nice quiet Saturday morning sketching at nearby Shawnee Mission Lake. I am always sad to see the rental boats all dry-docked for the season, as the fall is still a great time to be on the water.  Since I don't have my canoe anymore, I just have to enjoy the water from the banks.  The colors of the paddleboats all lined up caught my eye and I found a nice spot under a shade tree.

I've been trying to force myself to do quicker sketches, as I can get lost in the details for hours.  So the sketches above of the main dock were done with a looser feel.  Still not super happy with my technique yet...but will keep practicing.  In fact...I had a "total fail" on one sketch...ripped it up and tossed it.

The sketch below was done as I was walking back to my car. I saw the bright colors of a sailboat at the boat ramp.  As I was sketching, the owner appears, backs up his trailer, and loaded up the boat.  I was forced to work even faster than I had planned...but kindof like how this one came out.

Below is a sketch I did last weekend, after church, on my way home.  This is a construction site that I had posted sketches about a few weeks ago, next to a Methodist church.  I suspect that this won't be the last drawing I do from there!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the boats and remember the park so well. Stood on that tall overhang over the lake and watched you canoe out with your Dad. Also did some paddle boating with the girls! Ah, good memories. Felt like home. Thanks.
Mom