Monday, June 15, 2009

AUTOMATA: "Computer Cats"

Here are a couple more of my first wooden crank toys from a few years back. I made this one for my Mom for a Christmas present. When you turn the handle, the cat's paw bats at the dangling "mouse" cord, and the cat tail goes down. At the same time, the cord swings to the left while the computer keyboard pivots up on off of the desk. When the keyboard goes up and down, the "real mouse" bounces and slightly rotates a bit each time. Sorry, but I didn't take photos of the "action", so you'll just have to use your imagination on how it works.
This next one was made the following year for my sister-in-law, Debra. She's a great lover of cats and computers, and really had her eye on the toy I made for Mom. I simplified the mechanics a bit, but I think she was happy with it. When you turn the crank, the arms tap away at the keyboard. I like the "antique" feel of old wooden toys from days gone by, so I painted it to have that worn and aged look.

2 comments:

Fitz-Badger said...

Your wooden automota are very cool! Unique, with a wonderful sense of humor and an old-fashioned look (in a good way). I bet these are treasured gifts!

Anonymous said...

You've been keeping busy! Any more super hero morphs of co-workers? My Penguin photo adorns my Facebook profile right now. People will laugh and hurl insults until I cry, then I change the photo to something really hurtful.